Monday, November 21, 2011

Book Review: AB4T Answers Book For Teens

I just wrote a review of How Do We Know the Bible is True?, and in my review I explained how Micah (my 14-year-old) and I are reading that book together. It's something that gets really intense and I have written a study guide to help him wade through the information.

AB4T, or Answers Book For Teens, by Bodie Hodge, Tommy Mitchell, with Ken Ham, is a book that is written specifically for teens and is kind of along the same lines as How Do We Know the Bible is True. AB4T is a collection of 15 questions and their answers that teens need to know. Stuff like, "If God's really so great, why does He let so much pain and bad stuff happen in the world, like Earthquakes, Floods, and Wars?"  The answers get straight to the point.

Recommended for teens age 13 to 17, this book is written on a reading level that your teen will not only understand, but will actually want to read.  Creative artwork, fonts, bold text, etc., create visual aids in a modern format that grab the reader's attention.  But don't worry--the text is not dumbed down at all.  AB4T presents factual evidence, doesn't shy away from counter-arguments, and equips your teen with the information he will need to answer questions from his friends.  And again worth mentioning, this book clearly presents the Gospel!

Since Micah is our resident teen, I asked him to write his own impression:

I only read the first chapter, but it made a very good impression for the whole book. I especially like the writing style and depth it has. I enjoy how the book is very easy to read, and the authors have your full attention every word you read. This book is definitely a starter to the Christian theological books.

 


I definitely recommend this book for teens!

I was given a complimentary copy of this book for review from New Leaf Publishing Group, Master Books. I was not required to write a positive review. My thoughts and opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. This one looks good- I'll have to recommend it to some of the youth I work with at church! Thanks- (my oldest is 10- but I bet he's not too far off from understanding) He's smart, but not necessarily mature (emotionally) but he is responsible & such- what do you think? would you let your 10 yr old boy read it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli, that's a great question!

    It's a good book, but I think it answers questions that teens specifically are wrestling with (rather than just being on a teenage reading level). If your son doesn't think of these issues from that point of view yet, it may not be the right book for him. Two chapters specifically deal with questions that may not be appropriate for a 10 yo: "Why should I listen to what the Bible says about sex?" and "If Christians are supposed to love everybody, why do they always seem to hate gay people?"

    I think you should check out the Answers Book for Kids (ages 6-12). There are 4 volumes on amazon.com. Hmmm...I think I may have just found a Christmas present idea for my younger kids...

    ReplyDelete