Monday, November 21, 2011

Book Review: How Do We Know the Bible is True?

How do we know the Bible is true?
Are there contradictions in the Bible?
Is there purpose and meaning in life?
Is the age of the Earth a salvation issue?

Micah and I have been reading How Do We Know the Bible is True? together since the beginning of the school year.  We decided to do this book instead of our regular curriculum.

How Do We Know the Bible is True? is a book of questions and answers by many different authors.  Ken Ham and Bodie Hodge are the general editors, and they have done a fantastic job of putting the book together in a logical/sequential fashion.  This book speaks to the logical side of my brain, that part of my brain that still longs to do lengthy mathematical proofs.  A question is presented, answered/proven, and from then on it is assumed to be true as a basis for answering further questions.  This makes complete sense and avoids unnecessary repetition.

Most of the time I read a chapter first, write some study questions, then Micah reads it and answers the questions.  This works well because I can integrate it right into his SOS curriculum (by creating a custom subject).  It also works well because I can see how much he grasps or doesn't grasp.  There have been a few times when I haven't had a chance to get it done before he is assigned the book.  It is a great reward to hear him say, "Oh Mom,  you definitely have to read this chapter.  You are going to love it!"  (As if I wouldn't be reading it.)  Or, "This is my favorite chapter yet!"  (Yes, he said that more than once). 

Don't get me wrong, it's not an easy read.  My 14 year old loves to argue.  In an effort to nudge him in the direction of learning debate, I found this book to be an excellent resource for presenting the polite way to argue.  If you can get your brain in the right mood, the book is easy to read.  Each chapter swells with information and is presented at a fast pace.  The authors do not necessarily write out counter-arguments, however it is understood they are writing to answer common objections.  Once I pointed out this writing style to Micah, he got the hang of it very quickly.

This book would make an excellent resource for your home library.  It is full of information and more information and information on where to get MORE information!  And it's only Volume 1...there's even more to come!  Oh, and I am very pleased to add that the Gospel is presented clearly, making this also a good book to share with your skeptical friends who have questions that may seem difficult to answer.




I received a complimentary copy of this book from New Leaf Publishing Group, Master Books.  I was not required to write a positive review.  My thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment