Thursday, November 24, 2011

Book Review: Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball

Need a little help getting in the "Christmas spirit"?

Donita K. Paul has written a novella calledTwo Tickets to the Christmas Ball: A Novella.  This lighthearted novel is whimsical and warming.  Cora Crowder and Simon Derrick have worked for the same employer for 5 years, on the same floor, and don't even know each other.  Coincidence (or is it?) brings them both to a quaint little bookshop for Christmas presents.  They each purchase a book, and upon arriving home find that inside the book is a ticket to the Wizard's Christmas Ball.  We follow Cora and Simon as their lives continue to collide, drawing them together and towards the climatic event--a ball that the matchmaking owners of the bookshop arrange every year in order to bring together couples.  Unexpected surprises lay ahead, though, because life is rarely so easy as meet, fall in love, and live happily ever after.

It's no secret that I love Donita K. Paul.  Her writing is permeated by her love for Jesus Christ and for good Biblical theology.  She draws the reader in with fantastical events, and the reader is enveloped in the story and fed to the heart.  Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball has a lot to teach about dealing with dysfunctional family members.  Two completely different families are presented, and while both families have "interesting" members, the contrast between the way Cora relates to her family compared to how Simon relates to his is stark.  I love it when a good story teaches a great lesson.  This story warmed me to the core and puts me in the mood for Christmas, but every day is a good day to celebrate the Gospel!

Read Chapter 1 of the book here, and watch this short promo video:



I recieved a complimentary copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah.  I was not required to write a positive review.  My thoughts and opinions are my own.

3 comments:

  1. I just reserved this at the library for my mom. Thanks for the rec. :) Hugs, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Review... always looking for good books for my children. What ages would you consider appropriate for this book?

    Hope you don't mind I added you to my Booksneeze Blogroll.

    Loyalbooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donita K. Paul loves writing for all ages, but not all topics will interest all ages. Depending on your children's interests and reading level, I would say 12 and up is a good age range for this book. My 10 year old (almost 11) boy, who absolutely loves Donita K. Paul, politely decided he wasn't really interested in reading this one.

    ReplyDelete