Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Unionization of Childcare Providers

This might ruffle some feathers, but...well, I need to sound off...

Governor Dayton and State Representatives,

I am outraged by the upcoming vote to unionize childcare providers.  This is an extremely unfair election.

I have been a childcare provider for over 8 years.  I enjoy running my own business and serving families in Central Minnesota.  During my time as a childcare provider I have served both wealthy and poor families, even families receiving Child Care Assistance.  I build my business on treating others the way I would want to be treated.

I have always had a successful business and I do not need anything that a union has to offer.  Even more importantly, I work for MYSELF and my family and the families I serve, not the government and not for some other entity.  I am happy to abide by state laws regulating the safety of children in my care, but a union will NOT increase safety nor provision for these.  It will ROB my family of limited resources.

I have VERY strong religious and personal views AGAINST unions.  Collecting mandatory union dues is a slap in my face.  I have a large family, therefore I can only care for a couple of daycare children.  This amount of income is tiny--making only 2 to 5 dollars per hour GROSS (you don't want to know what my net per hour is).  Yet this tiny amount of income does contribute to my family--helping to put food on the table and buy clothes for my children.  The largest benefit is it allows me to stay home with my children--I am able to breastfeed my baby, provide loving care for my preschoolers, and even homeschool my older children.  Getting a job outside my home would have tremendous sacrifices and after the cost of childcare I would have NOTHING left over. 

With the unionization of childcare providers and MANDATORY dues, I am now faced with the reality that the tiny amount of profits I do make will be dwindled even further.   Or that I will have to raise my rates, therefore passing on the cost to already strapped parents. What a selfish sacrifice the state is requiring!!!  This is ridiculous!

Providers should not be required to join a union nor to pay union dues.  Providers should not be required to join a union or pay union dues in order to receive child care assistance payments. 

Please protect the freedom of small business owners!

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I really hope that doesn't go through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links. I sent off a message to the Gov. this afternoon. How are you lucky enough to be one of the select few to get to vote on this issue?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am registered to receive CCAP payments (Child Care Assistance Program). According to another letter I received (from another daycare provider), there are only 4,400 providers in the state who are registered. These are the providers who will vote to represent the 11,000 providers in the state. Ludicrous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a place I can just sign up for CCAP? I've never been approached by a family who's used it. It is ludicrous, though. They know who the registered providers are.....use that list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would sign up with your county human services department. I think they will go from the list of providers as of Sept. 30, 2011. If you want to email me, I will forward you the information I received from another provider who is really helping pull together the people who don't want a union. My email is stephtheis at gmail dot com.

    I had someone stop by here in the spring who was promoting the union, trying to get enough signatures for the petition to have a union. She was SO pushy. Pushed her way into my home. I can't believe I opened the door for her. I really didn't know much about unions, but I researched it after she left. Too bad, because I surely could have given her a much different welcome. Lesson learned: don't allow strangers in your home during daycare hours. Thankfully she wasn't a bad person and it wasn't a dangerous situation, but I really should have used better judgement! She was really sweet, but I was just so uninformed about unions. I didn't sign the petition, but she was PUSHY. I wonder how many other providers just like me signed that stupid thing because they had no clue? About a week after she was here I got an email from my food program warning me about allowing strangers in. Ha! Too late!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, and she was some young college chick who has no clue. No clue about families or owning your own business or running a daycare. Yeah. I just shake my head. I wonder what was in it for her?

    ReplyDelete