Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Chicken Wild Rice Soup

Yesterday I was cutting up velveeta cheese for my ridiculously yummy and unhealthy chicken wild rice soup.  Micah walked by, and in all his 14 years he apparently has no experience with velveeta.  He asked me, "What is that stuff?"  Then answering his own question, he continued, "Cheese butter?"

I laughed.  How do you describe velveeta?  "Cheese butter" seems to be an adequate description!

Anyway, here is my recipe (typed from memory):

Chicken, cooked and cut into cubes, as much or little as you want...I usually have around 2 cups of chicken breast
1 cup uncooked wild rice
1 pint half & half
6 strips of bacon, uncooked
1 medium onion
10 oz of Velveeta Cheese (or 1/3 of a 2-lb block)
2 (10.75 oz) cans condensed cream of potato soup
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth

Cook the wild rice according to package directions (I recommend finding some native Minnesota wild rice!)
Fry bacon strips, reserve some of the grease
Cook the onions in the grease until they are tender (you could also cook your chicken in here if it isn't already cooked...I throw mine in to get the full flavor, even though it's already cooked)
Add rice, crumbled bacon, onions, and chicken to a pot.  Add in the rest of the ingredients.

Simmer for 1/2 hour to an hour, stirring regularly.  Be careful not to let it go too long, as the milk will burn on the bottom of the pan.  You can also put this in a crock pot on low.

I wanted to take a picture, but I completely forgot by the time mine was ready.  Next time!

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend whose dad makes scrambled eggs when they do a BIG sleepover for birthdays, and one year he used Velveeta... Those were the best 3 or 4 large helpings of scrambled eggs I've EVER had!!!

    ReplyDelete