Sunday, December 11, 2011

Update...again...

I am running on low steam tonight with a brewing caffeine headache, but I really don't want to neglect my blog.

Well, the throw-up virus (or "stomach flu" as some people call it) has continued to worm its way through our family oh-so-slowly.  For the 3rd Sunday in a row, I had someone throwing up.  I am now the only one out of 10 who hasn't gotten sick.  What baffles me is how we can go 3, 4, 5 days--even a whole week--without anyone sick at all, then all of a sudden someone is knocking on my door in the middle of the night.  :(  It's crazy!

The kids have been real troopers.  The older kids have been good buddies to the younger kids, helping them get to us if they need help, even sometimes helping them get a bucket or get to the bathroom!  They know the drill really well by now.  The older kids have also managed to get their schoolwork done in spite of interruptions. 

Obadiah has been the hardest one of all, and it always is.  He has had a runny nose/cough since before Thanksgiving, and that really bothers him.  The teeth that the doctor saw almost 3 weeks ago have not emerged, in fact I don't think he's made any progress at all on them.  He has tried out "biting" me while nursing and it was painful nonetheless.  He had a turn at throwing up AND now has diarrhea.  We've had multiple wardrobe changes this weekend, if you know what I mean.  He continues to work on standing up in the middle of the room, and does it all the time.  Still no steps for me, though.  :) 

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I started the 90-day Bible reading plan.  That is going really well.  Mitch and Eden are trying to keep up with me.  I'm already looking forward to doing it again next year sometime.  In addition to reading my Bible, I've been reading Elyse Fitzpatrick's Give Them Grace, and I HIGHLY recommend it.  Mitch is reading that one with me, too, and I am so glad to be on the same page with him.  We also read Sheet Music by Kevin Leman together.  Whew!  What a fantastically exciting book!!  I read some very unfair negative reviews.  Apparently this book is not for every (married) couple.  Mitch and I found it to be fun and rejuvenating for us.  We also read 4 Days to a Forever Marriage together (and I need to write a review).  It was also a good book...maybe more palatable for a wider audience, if you know what I mean.  ;)  Do you recognize the common theme here?  Reading together with Mitch has been an incredible way for us to connect and strengthen our marriage.  It came when I least expected it!!

We are reading Jotham's Journey for Advent.  We really miss our exchange students, Kathi and Patrick.  :(  We put together care packages for each of them and packed as much love and kisses as we possibly could inside.  I'm glad I actually got that done, because that's about all I've been able to accomplish for Christmas!  I have a few good ideas, not enough though, and not enough time to carry out any of them to get ready for Christmas.  No time for shopping...I just have no idea how this is going to go down.  Yikes--Christmas is in only 2 weeks!!!  I haven't even had time to take some decent pictures other than the ones I posted a couple days ago.  =S  Let me say that again--I have no time for shopping and I have no idea what I want to give my kids for Christmas.  I have some ideas for extended family, but that's it.  Ideas.  I want to go to bed now...wake me up in time for Caleb's birthday, would ya?  Man, it's tough being the parent!

I think I'm supposed to say more here, but all I can think about is how my eyes feel like they're going to pop out of my head and I still need to grade the kids' schoolwork before tomorrow!  So with that, I guess I'll just let it go for now.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very interested in trying the 90 day Bible reading plan. I printed out the schedule already. How long do you think it takes each day? I don't have a lot of windows of time available when the kids are not awake :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is taking me about an hour a day. I spread it out over the whole day...doing a little while I eat breakfast, nurse the baby, and at night before bed. While I'm trying to commit and be disciplined, I also realize that I'm not supermom either. So I just check off what I have done and go from there. I didn't finish my reading on Saturday, wasn't able to catch up on Sunday either, so by Monday this week I was too far behind to catch up. But I really just let go of that. If I get my reading all done in the day, I read ahead when I have time...because I know I'll need that margin later! Oh, and do I have to mention I have zero time for watching t.v.?

    ReplyDelete