Wednesday, January 04, 2012

15 years ago...


I didn't wear a white dress and he didn't wear a suit.
We didn't have a bridal shower or a bachelor party.
No groom's dinner, either. (I didn't even know what that was.)
There was no reception for guests and no white cake.
We didn't go on a honeymoon.

We did have
~family surrounding us and supporting us in love
~a simple bouquet of white [silk] roses
~an exchange of Christian vows
~rings, a token and symbol of our vows
~God, with His outpouring of grace and forgiveness

What makes a marriage?  I can tell you with complete certainty it is not the things that we didn't have at our wedding 15 years ago.  I do not regret not having any of those things.  I don't miss them at all.

I will not even attempt to write in one blog post what has filled hundreds, if not thousands, of books.  What makes a marriage?  For us it has been plain and simple:  Grace.  God's grace was with us then and it has sustained us until now.  Yesterday we marked our 15th wedding anniversary.  It is hard to believe that time has gone by so quickly.  We had a wonderful dinner together and enjoyed our time holding hands and grinning at each other like a pair of newlyweds.  Our conversation was full of laughter and lingered long after we stuffed ourselves and our leftover food had grown cold.  It was very, very sweet.  I couldn't have planned a more perfect way to spend our evening together.  Grace.

Way back years ago when we were at Sauk Rapids Alliance Church (which is now Bridge Community Church) and Troy Bondy was the youth pastor (we love Troy and Deana), we used to sing a song by Bob Gillman.  I sing it even now:

Bind us together, Lord, Bind us together
With cords that cannot be broken.
Bind us together, Lord,
Bind us together,
Bind us together with love.

4 comments:

  1. So sweet... It's just the type of thing that I dream of and hope God will GRACE me with... some day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Glad it stuck : )!

    It's good to know you're a month or so ahead of me in the 90 day challenge. It's no fun going it alone.

    Yes, those patriarchs had a bunch of kids- especially when you include the unmentioned girls!

    Celee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a late ....Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have sung this at Celebration services at Atonement! I love it!

    ReplyDelete