Monday, March 05, 2012

The Bible in 90 Days

Since it's been 90 days since I started the Bible reading plan, I wanted to give a short update.  I have good and bad news.  The bad news is I didn't finish the plan.  :(  I gave it a good run.  I tried a few times to get caught back up.  I missed all of Esther (which isn't that long and I could do it any time), Job, Isaiah 42-end (um, I remember getting stuck there years ago), and from Ezekiel 30 on I didn't read all the minor prophets.  I thought once I hit the New Testament in February I could pick it back up with vigor, but I wasn't quite able to.  I missed a lot of days in February.  I felt guilty for a while.  I have decided to focus on what I DID accomplish, rather than on what I didn't.  God won't love me more if I prove my devotion by reading through the Bible quickly.  He wants me to love to read His word.

Many days my reading took an hour.  I will not kid you, I don't have an hour of uninterrupted time to read on a daily basis.  While I did cut back my reading of other books during this time, I still had some I wanted to read.  By February, however, I pretty much lost all time to read without explanation.  Rather than just toss my ambitions aside as unattainable, I have toned my goals down a bit.  Our church participates in a 1-year Bible reading plan.  I found a plan that is pretty much exactly the same on Youversion.com (the app I read with on my iPod).  I "cheated" the app to make it start me where the church is as of today:  first, I subscribed the plan, which would start me out at Genesis 1:1 today; next, I determined where I was supposed to be and marked every passage as "read" up to today; finally, I clicked "catch me up" which would reset the plan to start me at the last not-completed day.  The result is it appears I started reading on January 1st.  Technically I did read those passages...about a month earlier.  Currently we are in Numbers and Mark...so I will have the opportunity to catch any passages I missed.

The good news is, after attempting the 90-day plan, the 1-year plan looks totally doable.  Of course I don't want to be over-confident.  There are some areas of discipline in my life that I need to work on.  A regular time each day to do my reading would be a good place to start.  While it was hard  impossible to carve out an hour each morning to get my reading done, I WILL be able to do it now.  Even better, I will have time to pull out my ESV Study Bible and actually read the text notes, or pause to find the answer to a question.  I'm not going to push it, but it is a goal to eventually be able to journal occasionally while I read. 

I just wanted to keep it real for ya'll.  It is a good reminder that I'm not super-mom either!

No comments:

Post a Comment