Monday, March 12, 2012

A Strobist I Am Not

I have a Nikon D80 and an SB-600 flash.  I've had my flash for almost a year now, it's hard to believe!  And what's not so hard to believe is I still don't use it properly.  I recently picked up a book from my local library (after waiting on the waiting list for some weeks), The Digital Photography Book, Volume 2, by Scott Kelby.  What I love about this book is it is not only easy to understand, but it's entertaining as well.  It does create a small problem of introducing me to more camera equipment than I could ever buy, but I push that aside and get down to the nitty gritty of learning to use what I have.  Or in the case of flash photography, not learning to use what I have.

I once thought that this would be as simple as popping the flash on top of my camera and just shooting photos.  I have now completely abandoned any such notions.  This is not the first time I've really tried hard to figure out the flash in the past year, but I tend to favor a cyclical approach to learning.  I'm hoping I can "get it" soon.  I know I over-think things to a large degree.  :)  At any rate, here are some examples of my practicing (and a couple good examples of what not to do).  I'm sure my kids will be able to see again soon after the bright flashes wear off...

Malachi

Tirzah after trying to style her own hair

My little wild man in a rare moment of peaceful sleep

Eden...after about 10 other shots...a patient one??

Whoa!  Aim that thing somewhere else!  Shooting Obi with the flash off the camera.

Oops, sorry Micah!

Malachi again...I'm still not getting any better at this...

Josh working on a skeleton project Mitch brought home

Malachi's skeleton

Obi loves to put blankets over his head

Obi is trying to tell me something.

Caleb

No comments:

Post a Comment