Monday, April 16, 2012

Update

Things have been busy around here, and I'm sure you noticed the lack of blogging. 

We had a wonderful Easter celebration at our church followed by lunch and an egg hunt at Paul & Marilyn's.












I have been reading some camera books I got at the library and trying new things.  I'm so pleased with how the pictures came out that I took on Easter...but I learned a hard lesson:  charge your camera batteries before leaving home.  Doh!  (If you're looking for a good camera book, check out the ones by Scott Kelby.)

Last Tuesday I started some seeds indoors.  I started roma tomatoes, green bell peppers, and marigolds.  I've never done flowers (besides sunflowers) before.  I hope it goes well.  I will probably sew some directly in the ground later in May, but I wanted to have some fun indoors.  Our garden needs some work.  :)  I went out to inspect it and see what might be coming up from any stray seeds.  I found sunflowers.  I didn't really want to plant sunflowers this year, so we'll see if I leave them or not.  Now that they're growing (and our weather is really up and down right now), it's hard for me to stop them.  Mitch brought home a Hosta last fall and asked Micah to plant it in the garden.  I don't think Micah knew what to expect.  He was surprised and excited to find it growing.  Now to find a permanent home for it besides in my garden.  By Sunday some of our seeds had started to sprout.  In a couple weeks I'll start some more seeds.  I want to do lettuce and radishes in containers, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.




We're all chomping at the bit and counting down the weeks until summer vacation.  Not much longer!  Micah, Eden, and Caleb are finishing up their last weeks of SOS.  Their scores are good, but they are getting done with school each day in about 2 hours.  That seems really fast.  :(  Today they began their standardized testing, and I'm anxious to see what the results will be.  I should know about the middle of May.  We have a curriculum shake-up coming, but I'm not sure what it will be exactly.  Micah will be going to high school in the district where Mitch teaches.  Malachi starts kindergarten this fall.  I'm 90% sure that Zeke, Josh, and Malachi will all do Math-U-See for math.  And I'm almost as certain that Eden and Caleb will use Teaching Textbooks.  Other than that, I don't know.  My brain is too cloudy and I need some focus.  This is our 5th year of homeschooling.  I can hardly believe it.  When we started out we were strictly A Beka and tried to keep our homeschool as close to traditional school as we possibly could.  That was a disaster, but we still kept trying.  I hate to say it, I really do, but I think that I'm becoming much more like Charlotte Mason than I ever thought I would.  More on that to come, as I clear my head and do research.  I told Mitch I'd love to take a one-week sabbatical.  I really wanted to go to the MACHE conference this past weekend, but Mitch and I need to take a trip to Florida in May and we just couldn't do both.  I felt a little relief when a friend told me that our local homeschooling association bought cd's of all the sessions for the lending library.  Also I can attend an online convention for free at anytime (and so can you) at Homeschoolconvention.com.  I am especially looking forward to carving out time for this. 

We don't have any firm summer plans yet, but we have talked about going to visit my family in Virginia (and we'll visit Mitch's mom and stepdad on the way too).  I'd love to just go park ourselves for 2 weeks and do nothing but visit with people.  Of course, I haven't talked to anyone except Mitch about this.  :)  Like I said, no firm plans.  I am doing daycare through the summer, but Mitch is not going to work a summer job this year.  Micah has applied to Camp Lebanon to be on the Sweat Team and is signed up to attend two weeks in August.  He is SO excited.  I'm excited for him.  I didn't even know about it, but Paul and Marilyn told us.  Micah had to fill out an application just like for a job and give references and everything.  He kept asking me to do it for him.  Oh how I love life lessons!  :)

I have a few reviews I need to write.  I have a review due for Time4Learning, an education site that some of my kids have been trying out.  I also have a couple book reviews to write.  I am trying hard to balance the things that need to get done and the things I want to get done.  It seems that I have taken on a bit too much lately.  Did you know I've been blogging for 6 years?  I can't believe it!  And I recently posted my 1,000th post.  I knew I was getting close, and I tried so hard to remember, but alas I didn't.  I think this is post 1,010 or something like that.  I love blogging.  I wish I could remember to post shorter posts with all the cuteness that my kids have going on.  I think I'd better go back to making notes again.  ;)

I briefly mentioned that Mitch and I need to take a trip to Florida in May.  We are attending a Missionary Assessment Center at Converge Worldwide.  It is our goal to come away from the MAC with a better picture of our strengths, personalities and our calling.  We hope that the MAC will help us set healthy goals for ministry in our family, local church, and community.  We also hope that the MAC will give us a recommendation towards working in the global community in another context.  We are so thankful for the opportunity to attend the MAC, for the timing, and God's provision of finances to be able to attend.  We are also thankful for the many friends who have filled out lengthy reference forms for us in order to help the assessors really have an excellent picture of who we are.  We ask for your prayers for us as we prepare for (it has been literally HOURS of paperwork) and attend the MAC.

Well, my blogging time is well used up.  But I had it coming.  :)  Keep watching for those reviews, and I sure hope that I get on here more often.  I'll write on my hands if I have to!

No comments:

Post a Comment