Thursday, May 03, 2012

Book Review: God Helps Me Bible

The God Helps Me Bible, written by Juliet David and illustrated by Clare Caddy is a sweet little children's storybook published by Kregel Publications.

The God Helps Me Bible storybook has short Bible stories retold, each with the recurring theme of how God has helped the main character.  The book has a sturdy board cover and is spiral bound, making it more durable than other children's books we have.  Each page is also sturdy, though not as thick as in a "board book".  After having this book for over a month in our home, it has held up perfectly (and my children are notoriously not gentle).  The book lies flat when open, which is especially helpful.  The illustrations are high-quality and easily draw my children into the stories.  The short stories are appropriate for my toddler and preschoolers.  The wording is easy enough for my young readers to read alone.  An extra blessing is the inclusion of references so that my children can use their Bibles to find the original stories quickly.

I find each story within the God Helps Me Bible to be sweet, like a song that brings peace.  It's so comforting for children--of all ages--to be reassured that they will have help when they need it.  I think this book would make a great gift!  It is not recommended for children under age 3, however I think as long as the parents are reading to the child and not leaving the book for the child (to eat), it is completely appropriate.  What a wonderful bedtime storybook for small children!


Tirzah (3 years old) has taken the book away from me twice just now while I've been writing this post.  :)  I think that alone is proof that the book is attractive and fun.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Kregel Publications for review.  I was not required to write a positive review.  My thoughts and opinions are completely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment