Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Introducing Mercy Anne

Sunday, March 17, 2013 was baby day!!  We checked into the hospital at 6:30 a.m.  I was given the "corner room"...the best birthing suite on the floor (which happens to be a brand new wing at the hospital).  This was the view from my bed as the sun rose over the Mississippi River, absolutely stunning:


Labor wasn't too bad, I'll post the birth story later.  Pushing was difficult.  The baby came out posterior and asynclitic.  But she really was a girl!!  Everyone exclaimed at how big she was.

I simply adore her round, chubby cheeks!

I held the baby skin-to-skin for two whole hours.  It was wonderful!  She latched on and nursed beautifully.  We just kept going and the time flew.  Finally I decided Daddy and Eden should have a turn, too.  :)


It was fun having Eden at the delivery.  All the staff were so kind to her.  They were showing her around, explaining procedures and instruments.  I was so glad they took her under their wings.

We also wanted to know how much she weighed.  The doctor and nurses had all guessed over 9 lbs.  When we put her on the scale, nope, she was 8 lbs 12 oz.  She measured 20.5 in long, and her head was 34 cm (13.4 in).

After we got cleaned up and moved to the postpartum room, Holly & Kyle brought the kids up to meet Mercy.  I just loved it--when Tirzah came in, she looked at me and said, "Mommy, how did you get the baby out?"  For weeks she had been saying all I needed to do was lay on my tummy and my tummy would go "pop" and the baby would come out.  Mitch snapped this picture as I pushed on my tummy and tried to simply explain that I just "pushed" her out. 

I unwrapped the baby so that they could see her good.  They all exclaimed over how tiny she is.

We scrambled to get a family picture...

Later Sunday evening she got her first bath, right in my room.  At first she didn't like it, but eventually she settled down and enjoyed the spa treatment.

On Monday Holly and her kids came and hung out at our house, and Mitch spent the entire day with me at the hospital.  Mitch took a TON of pictures and posted them on facebook.  I took a long bath and tried to rest. 


Mercy was SO crabby on this second day.  We snuggled up and nursed pretty much the entire day.  I had not slept well overnight, so by Monday night I was completely EXHAUSTED.  Mercy didn't settle down to sleep good until 1 a.m.  But then we got a few hours of sleep.

Today we were discharged to home, much to the delight of all the kids.  I got a surprise when I dressed her in her coming home outfit--it was too small!  Oh well, I squeezed it on anyway and changed her when we got home. 


I am so glad to be home!  I think Mercy is too.  She is much happier today.  I am still feeling pretty tired.  We got in one nap already, and I feel ready to go back to bed again.  Mercy's weight was down to 7 lbs 15 oz at discharge, and her bilirubin count was 11.3.  Thankfully they did not send us home with a bili light.  We will follow up in a couple days with our family doctor and have her checked out again.  My milk is "coming in" so we should be on the upswing soon!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats! Maybe I'm crazy, but I think she has her own look... different from the others. Those cheeks just look so kissable!! :) Hope everyone is helpful and allows you to get the rest you need. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You aren't crazy Kristin, I had the same thought actually. I am so excited to meet her and cuddle. It will have to wait though, you don't want what Iz has at your house. Congratulations!!! She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is just beautiful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! Mercy is adorable and I love her name. :) Can't wait to read your birth story. :) Get lots of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks different than your other babies....looks like she may even have my chin! You did a great job as usual and so thankful for Mitch and his love and support. He is a great daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and she is most beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful blessing! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete