Saturday, June 22, 2013

Mercy is 3 months old!

I can't believe it's been 3 months already.  Tomorrow will be 14 weeks.  Since she was born when I was 40 weeks pregnant, I am trying to think back 14 weeks before she was born.  At 26 weeks pregnant, I still had a "long" way to go.  I wasn't even thinking about being ready to give birth (though I was getting ready).  I wasn't wishing that time would go faster.  I was in the golden period of pregnancy--not so big that I felt uncomfortable, yet past all the morning sickness, and feeling the baby kick and move was amazing.  As the weeks whittled away, they seemed to crawl slower and slower.  And after the baby was born, time jumped into hyper speed.  I call this effect "whiplash".  It jerks me around so much just thinking about it makes my neck (or my heart?) ache.  ::sigh::

A week ago I had Caleb in to the doctor for his 12-year-old checkup.  While the doctor did part of the exam, I stepped out in the hallway with the baby to give him privacy.  While waiting, I slipped down the hall and put the baby on the scale.  Clothes, cloth diaper, and all, she weighed 14 lbs 2 oz.  :)  Cute chubby girl.

Here are some pictures and more stats:

 While heading to a picnic a couple weeks ago, we drove by this place (an appliance store) and laughed at the sign.  Then we turned around to take a picture.  Yeah, I have warm milk, but I think Mercy likes it that way.  :)  Mercy is a good nurser (obviously).  She usually eats about every 2 hours.  She takes at least one long nap most days, but sometimes 2.  She takes other "cat naps" (short naps) too.  She sleeps very well at night as long as she is in bed with me.  She will usually sleep between 5-7 hours the first stretch, then wake for a "snack" and sleep until morning after that.  I tried placing her in a bassinet beside my bed, and that didn't fly.  Maybe I will try again, but for now I actually like cuddling with her.

 Mercy started drooling recently.  Unlike spit-up that she has had since birth, the drool is clear (and doesn't smell as bad).  I read once that babies' olfactory glands mature right around 3 months, producing drool.  This milestone happens at the same time another milestone is reached--baby starts grabbing toys and bringing them to her mouth.  The drool helps flush unwanted germs out of the baby's mouth.  The drool is another way the baby's immune system helps keep baby healthy!
 
 And Mercy has been putting her fist and anything else she can grab (usually her clothes, bib, blanket, etc) into her mouth.  She would love to suck on her thumb, but she always curls her fist around it when she's grabbing things, so she doesn't ever get it in there.  She did a couple times after she was born, but no luck since then.  Because she has been trying to suck on her fist a lot, I tried offering her a pacifier again.  For a long time, she would gag when I would give it to her.  She seems to like it now...but I often forget to offer it to her. 

 She still is trying to get somewhere when she's on her tummy.  Go baby, go!  I told her that since she doesn't have knee caps yet, she'll have to wait a bit longer.  Did you know that baby's are not born with knee caps?  That's another cool bit of trivia for the day.

 We get lots of good smiles, coos, and giggles from Mercy.  She "talks" to us all the time.  So cute!

These two are trouble makers.  They love Mercy, but they are not always gentle.  We have had a few tears.  Thankfully, Mercy doesn't seem to be holding a grudge.
 
 Mercy is wearing size 3-6 month clothing and size small Pampered Cheeks cloth diapers (or size 2 in disposables...which we use at night).  She still spits up a lot, so a bib is usually standard part of the outfit for the day.  


 Micah loves to complain when Mercy pukes on him.  But, who wouldn't?  Pardon the mess in the background and laugh with Micah about the puke on his shirt.

One last giggle for you.  ::squeal::

 

No comments:

Post a Comment