Saturday, November 16, 2013

Curly Hair

Zeke loves his curly hair (maybe a little too much).  He can't go anywhere it seems without someone commenting that they love his curly hair.  He loathes having hair cuts because it's always a little less curly for a few days.  He hates the comments that people he knows then make to him ("you cut your curls?").  The older he gets, the more he is able to petition for a stay on hair cuts.  His hair has gotten the longest it has ever been.  It looks good when it is washed and combed, but most of the time it is a matted gnarly mess.  ;)  He has been going swimming at the YMCA a few times a week, and the chlorine is not kind.  He thought it was torture that I mandated the use of conditioner from now on (he says, "My hair feels all slimy!").  I finally convinced him to let me trim it up just a bit...it will still be long and curly (and matted and gnarly at times), but will (hopefully) keep him looking like a boy.

Today was the day.  While I tugged at the tangles, combing through his hair before cutting it, I started talking about my dad.  The kids haven't gotten to spend a lot of time with my dad, and my stories have been far too few.  I told him that my dad has curly hair too.  I said that now that he's older it is thin and balding, so he keeps it shaved most of the time (at least I *think* that's why he shaves it...maybe he has other reasons), but I will always picture him with curly hair .  Zeke obviously felt my dad's plight and without missing a beat suggested, "Couldn't he just get a wig? Then he could have curly hair forever!"

If you know my dad, you can laugh heartily!  And Dad, if you shave your hair for other reasons, maybe you should embrace the curls and let them grow back.  Ha!  :)

Here is a "before" picture...




5 comments:

  1. The older I get, the more hair I am losing to the brush and comb. I have found that Shea Butter helps A LOT with the matting and curls. I am using a product I found at Walmart called CANTU. I will post a picture of the bottle on your page. It helps A lot, and doesn't dry my hair out the way gel does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lukas feels about the same way about his curls. I had to cut them all the way off this year... :(he gave himself a haircut, but not a very good one.) He is now determined to have his ponytail/curls back!!!

    Extra time spent rinsing out the conditioner will help with the "slimy" feel. I can't say I blame him, I hate feeling slimy, too. I spend extra time rinsing my hair to get rid of that feel, and avoid hand lotion brands that feel greasy.

    Hayden had the same matting/gnarly mess problem. I told him it was up to him, but if it got out of hand (the school called about it) then I would have to cut it to tame it. It happened. A few years now past that, and don't have the problem at least of trying to convince the child to take care of the hair. Still curly :D We decided today that Zeke wins the curliest hair in the family award, though. Much curlier than Hayden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Eden definitely wins the contest for curliest hair...she has more curls than even I have had. It's pretty much a mix between my sister Carrie's hair and mine. It springs into tight little spirals all the way through to the underside.

      Delete
  3. This may sound odd... my my husband (who's Russian) uses this brand of shampoo/conditioner that is called "African pride" and it's in the ethnic isle in most stores (if yours has one). His hair is so soft after he wakes with it.and it isn't slimy! Here doesn't use it anymore, but he has been complaining about dandruff (I wonder why? Lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to add this and the stuff Sister recommended to my shopping list, thank you!

      Delete