Friday, November 29, 2013

Finishing Up November in Pictures

Um, I'm pretty sure this is about ten posts all combined into one.  I apologize for not being concise or efficient or organized or whatever it is I need to be to clean up this mess, but here it is anyway!  If you make it to the end, there is a true gem of a blessing down there.  :)

Less video games means more time for family games (and fun):




 Finally Tirzah's hair has grown long enough for French braids!


Malachi finished his first level of Math-U-See and started Alpha:

Eden's board art:

 Mercy LOVES the baby gate.
 Eden's small group had a formal dinner (which was served by Micah's small group):
 I braided her hair, too:

 I carved out time to knit Mercy a hat to match her rainbow blanket:

Sweet.  Obi is working hard on growing and learning.  We've picked up potty training again.  It's two steps forward, one step back, but we're staying in underwear if we're home (which is most of the time) during the day.  He wears diapers at night, though he stays dry most of the time.

We're making *some* progress in the eating solid foods department:


 She likes to "help" unload the cabinets and drawers in the kitchen, too:

Thanksgiving Day brought snow flurries enough to dust the ground and make us excited (but that was all):

A small, scrumptious feast with Grandma Karen and Grandpa Marc:

 Malachi is writing well enough on his own this year!


When I asked Obi what he is thankful for he replied with gusto, "I love you!"
Our Thanksgiving celebration was small.  We all missed having our house overflowing with people, with special mention to our exchange students and friends.  What a joyful memory this tablecloth has become as we read it together! 

Probably the biggest, most exciting news is that today we bought Micah his first car.  It runs, but it has quite a few things that need to be done on it.  It's a great "project" car.  Most of the projects appear to be minor things that we can do (or learn to do) ourselves, which makes it great.  We haven't had a mechanic look it over yet for any hidden problems, so we don't have a full picture of its condition, but the investment is modest and we consider it well worth the risk.

First project:  clean it.
 Tee-hee...
 The car is as old as Micah.  :)
 I'm pretty excited and can't wait to see it cleaned up and some of the "projects" done.
We got a bonus surprise today when we called to add the car to our insurance policy--our insurance went LOWER than what it would have cost to add Micah as a driver without a vehicle for him.  Nice!

Some things not told in pictures:
~We ordered glasses for the oldest three kids from Zenni Optical (http://zennioptical.com/).  Fantastic deals over there, and I have some kids who are tickled pink with their new glasses.  I need to get pictures soon.
~Josh took his cat allergy to a whole new level this month by adding wheezing to the list of symptoms.  A doctor visit and spirometry test ruled out asthma for him, but he did get a script for an inhaler in case it happens the next time.  I suppose he is not one of those people that get better with more exposure to cats.  ::sigh::
~I had to buy another crown for a tooth this month, so I am twice a princess.  While I'm thankful that we had the $1,000 in savings, I wish we could have bought Micah the Ford Mustang they found instead.  :P  Oh well...there's not much else we could spend that amount of money on that I would truthfully say I will use every single day for the next 15+ years. 
~We spent $3 on the newspaper to get the "Black Friday" ads only to find that both of us feel quite content with what we have.  Not all is lost, though--we saved $1.50 on gas using a coupon in the paper.
~In the past 24 hours Mercy has finally succumbed to a cold virus that has been hanging around here for the past couple of weeks.  Last night she helped me celebrate my birthday early by waking me up about every 30-45 min.  Her nose is stuffy so it was hard to nurse and sleep.  She made up for it by taking a really long nap today...I, however, did not get to nap.
~In fact, I was so tired that by morning I forgot it was my birthday.  It was super sweet when my kids reminded me by wishing me a Happy Birthday.  I heard from both Patrick and Kathi today too.  :)  Patrick made me smile by sending me a video on fractals, one of my favorite things from math.  
~I didn't make a cake for my birthday.  For my birthday meal I chose pizza rolls--not because I like them so much--but because I would not have to make them.  I haven't been feeling great, so I didn't feel like going out to eat tonight, either.  I just don't want to put myself in a position where I truly feel sick.  So no birthday meal this year.  It's ok...it will make other years that much better, right?
~I have been meditating on Psalm 103:1-5:
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
 John Piper preached, "Givers are more glorious than receivers. Benefactors are more glorious than beneficiaries. When we thank God, we acknowledge and display that he is the giver; he is the benefactor...Therefore, when gratitude springs up in the human heart toward God, he is magnified as the wealthy source of our blessing. He is acknowledged as giver and benefactor and therefore as glorious."

In light of that, no matter how hard (so tired, not feeling well, etc) or ordinary (no date night, no cake, no special treatment--I even did dishes) my birthday is, I am overwhelmed by God's goodness to me.  I don't have a limited number of birthdays (or holidays or special days).  Here in this body, yes, I do.  But eternally?  There is no end.  Like a fractal (could there have been a better picture, Patrick?), the further in you go, the bigger and more complex life is!  (Nodding my head to C.S. Lewis in Chronicles of Narnia)

credit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandelbrot_set

I celebrate today simply by remembering the overwhelming grace that has been poured out upon my life.   And that is, truly, the best part!

1 comment:

  1. I am ashamed that I don't say "I love you" more. You are very blessed and your children are SO very lucky that they didn't get ME for a mom!!!! :) You take it easy and don't stress too much about the little stuff. They are all growing fast.

    ReplyDelete