Thursday, February 27, 2014

I told you so!

It was a few years ago, but I told you so.  You may not have been paying attention, but I insisted upon the correct way to pronounce Appalachia.  I can sometimes feel alone up here in Minnesota, where one of my greatest struggles in teaching my children at home is in teaching them phonics, but today it seems I am not alone. My sister sent me a wikipedia entry that sums it all up.  It is titled Appalachian English. I am stunned and sit here in wondrous amazement. 

My favorite  parts:

People who live in the Appalachian dialect area or elsewhere in the South pronounce the word Appalachia with a short "a" sound (as in "latch") in the third syllable, /ˈæpəˈlætʃə/ or /ˈæpəˈlætʃiə/, while those who live outside of the Appalachian dialect area or at its outer edges tend to pronounce it with a long "a" sound (as in "lay"), /æpəˈleɪʃə/.[15]

Told you so.

Short "i" and short "e" have the same pronunciation when appearing before "n" or "m" (e.g., "pen" and "pin" are both pronounced "pin"). Adjectives are often used to distinguish between the two (e.g., "ink pen").[18]
Recently (yes, as in the past MONTH, after living in MN for 17 years) I told my kids that "since" and "sense" were homophones.  I was chagrined when Mitch pointed out the error.  I'm STILL getting it wrong? After all this time?  At least today I don't feel wrong.  :)

The construction "don't...no" is used with transitive verbs to indicate the negative, i.e. "He don't know no better." This is commonly referred to as the double negative, and is either negative or emphatically negative, never positive. "None" is often used in place of "any," as in "I don't have none."
Just a couple days ago we watched a video filmed in Middlesboro, KY, then read a news article from the same area, and Micah rudely "corrected" someone's grammar.  I pointed out that, academically, he was right.  Culturally, he was wrong.  ::grin:: Now I have evidence to support my claim.  Booyah!

Verb forms for the verb "to lay" are used instead of forms of the verb "to lie." For example, "Lay down and hush."

Yes, please.

Oh my this is fun!  It is so fun to read the list.  I slip on my accent for dramatic effect these days.  Or when I just want to remember.  Or when I'm talking to someone I love back home.  ::sigh::  A couple months ago while cleaning we found an old cassette tape that I had recorded over when I was 19 years old and packing for a summer missions trip.  I was playing up the accent then, too.  My kids didn't even believe it was me.  It was hilarious (if I wasn't a bit embarrassed).

I think that the world may say it is a sign of ignorance to hear someone using such grammar.  Naw.  I think it's a sign of intelligence.  It's like being able to speak a second language.  Hey--there's a thought--could I teach this to my kids and get some sort of "foreign language" high school credit??  :)


2 comments:

  1. As I always say...just because I say "ain't" doesn't mean I'm stupid. I speak southern English proudly because, as you say, it is part of my culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Snake," said Eve, "If you try to deceive, I will throw this *Apple Atcha*"

    ReplyDelete