Thursday, September 25, 2014

Déjà vu...and Mercy is 18 months old!

Two years ago we dealt with Obadiah and his pooping issues. He wasn't losing weight, but he "fell out of his growth curve." Today Mitch took Mercy in for her 18-month visit (while I was at my own doctor appointment), and she too has consistently fallen out of her growth curve over the past 9 months. :( Seriously, it is so EXACTLY like what Obi went through at this stage that I just shrug my shoulders and I haven't been concerned at all. Since I wasn't at the appointment personally to speak with the doctor, I am a little more concerned. The doctor sent Mitch home with a stool sample kit. We are checking for fat absorption among other things (lactoferrin, giardia, cryptosporidium...). I made sure to make a supper Mercy would eat, and sure enough it produced a bowel movement within 2 hours. My guess is that Mercy will receive the same diagnosis as Obadiah--simply a fast motility. Thankfully we were able to get that stool sample this evening before bed (it was poop #3 for her today, but the first two were completely solid, normal poops, just small in size). I totally grossed the kids out as I transferred the sample from the diaper to the collection cup. That was fun. Ha! In all seriousness, I'm thinking about asking for a hemoglobin check...but that will be next if the stool sample doesn't turn anything up anyway.

I'm too tired tonight (today was overwhelming and exhausting) to get any pictures of Mercy uploaded. But at 18 months she:

~weighs 21 lbs and is 31 inches tall
~climbs on everything
~pushes chairs around so she can climb higher
~says a few words, often parroting her siblings
~loves to sing, especially "Let It Go"
~can count a few numbers
~gets stuck on some vowel and consonant sounds so that impedes her willingness to practice speaking
~is learning to sign "please" and "more" and a few other things
~takes one nap per day...preferring to go on a walk with Caleb and fall asleep in the stroller (I'm hoping the cold weather holds off a while longer!)
~goes to sleep around 8:30 pm in Eden's bed and sometimes sleeps until after 6 am, but sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night and comes into my bed
~is learning to jump (cutest thing EVER)
~gets wildly excited around animals, even when she sees them on tv
~climbs up and sits in the middle of the table while we are doing school
~is a busy body, following her siblings around, making sure she is not missing anything
~loves water, loves to play in it and to drink it
~drinks from sippy cups, regular cups, water bottles, and anything that anyone else is drinking from

I hope our little punkin' butter starts fattening up soon!!


No comments:

Post a Comment