Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Summer Projects

 We started off the summer with a long project list. It was mostly my list to begin with, but I did need some help from Mitch with a few things. I wanted to make a list so that I could look at things, then prioritize what I really wanted done first. Mitch added a few things to the list, and we started whittling away at them immediately. Early on in the summer we had most of the easy things done. We have since finished the list completely and started a new one. The second list has felt a little slower, but we're still getting tons of stuff done. Mitch has been working very hard both at home and with friends.

I started a stack of 20 diapers over a year ago because I wanted to sell them to raise money for our Nicaragua trip. I ended up not finishing them, mostly because I didn't have the time. I wanted to get them finished up and out of my way. It was fun to do a little sewing. At the same time, though, I actually closed my Pampered Cheeks business. So it was bittersweet. It is fun to have a few diapers to do what I want with them. This print was so pretty and came from a scrap of knit fabric that I loved. I had so much fun choosing snaps for the front.
 The finished stack--6 newborn diapers, 4 smalls, and 10 mediums. ::love::

Something that didn't make it onto the project list but was a huge priority of mine was getting the tack strips removed from the basement floor. I put this off for way too long, mostly because I wanted to be sure we were not putting carpet back down. Our basement flooded last year when we failed to use the sump pump to drain our pail. Our basement is staying dry and I would feel comfortable putting carpet back down again, but we have some kids with allergies and I think it would just be cleaner to not have carpet. So up it comes!

 It feels SO good to have this up. I think we are going to put down vinyl...now what kind and how much $ to spend?

 Last year we moved all the storage tubs from the garage attic in anticipation of having our roof fixed. That didn't happen until November, but the tubs were in our basement nevertheless. Another "want" this summer was to transform our family room once again into a livable space.
 I have been on a huge purging binge lately. At the beginning of June we stuffed our Subaru Outback (station wagon) full to the brim of stuff that we took to the church garage sale. Mitch bought new storage tubs for my clothes so that they would all be uniform size/shape. As I transferred clothing to the new tubs, sorting and organizing, I ended up with 10 more full tubs of clothing to donate. Wow that felt awesome!

Mitch didn't want to put the clothes back up into the attic. He built shelves along the garage wall to accommodate the tubs. 

The kids had some fun climbing on the shelves while he built them.

 Mitch has also done a lot more work in his garage. Our dream was to insulate and heat it so that he could work in it year round. That's not going to happen at this moment (we are unable to use the insulation we wanted to, and the space is really small). But he has done an amazing amount of cleaning, building, and organizing. At least he is creating a bit of useable space for when the weather is warm enough to work!

Some other things on our project list:
hem the curtains that we hung
still need to fix the rocking chair
shoe shopping (everyone grew out of their shoes at the same time!)
put panels back up on the laundry chute (so my clothes don't get stuck between the floor and ceiling--lol)
put new mulch in front (Mitch is fixing our gutters so the mulch won't wash away anymore)
replace the back door (need a friend to help with this since it has a leak--no mold, though, thankfully)
sew gift bags
change the design of our middle boys' bed

No comments:

Post a Comment