Saturday, January 30, 2016

End of January update

Living in Minnesota, I'm not sad to see January come to a close. The amount of sunlight we get each day is increasing, and one cold month is down. By the time we get to the end of February, I'll be so ready for spring. This January has been uncharacteristically busy (or at least it seems it has been busier than normal...I've certainly been outside more than I wanted to be!). I have made a conscious effort to pick up my camera and take more photos this month, so I wanted to write an update. But now that I'm looking through all the pictures, I think I should break it up into several different posts. Sorry about that! So for this post, I'll write about what I've been up to and include random pictures.

Right around my birthday at the end of November my wrist started aching. After a week of that, I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with tendinitis--or De Quervain's tenosynovitis--and given a spica wrist splint to wear until the inflammation went away. After 4 weeks of wearing the splint 24-hours a day with no improvement in pain, I gave up and asked Bonnie for advice (since hands are her husband's specialty). So in early January I visited his office and got a low-dose cotrisone shot. Within a few days I could go all day without wearing the splint during the day. After two weeks I was no longer wearing it at night. And now at the end of the month I noticed that the pain is gone, even at night. I am so relieved!! I have finally picked up my knitting again, and I've found that the biggest obstacle now is time. Haha. Just a little more to go and I'll have my first pair of socks finished. It's also nice to be working in the kitchen or doing laundry without the burden of my brace.

It's January, so I'm working on getting all our taxes together, reviewing our budget, and comparing income from previous years. It's all terribly boring to most, but I find satisfaction in crunching numbers and finding patterns. You could call it a hobby, but that makes me sound like a total weirdo. 2015 saw the final closing of Pampered Cheeks. ::cry:: I didn't let go of all my dreams, and I even have plans for making my patterns available (for free!) in 2016. I don't have plans for doing any diaper sewing, but I am patiently waiting for a different sewing opportunity. I do hope to remodel my sewing/crafting room. The space should be repurposed for the projects that I will be working on. Whatever those are. Ha!

I started a Bible reading plan at the beginning of January and I'm really enjoying my time reading. I also just finished reading through the Lord of the Rings again. I think this was my 4th time reading through the books. The insights that I gleamed from the exercise gave me renewed motivation for reading through the Bible. Last year I read the Bible slowly and tried to study more deeply. Now I want to cover more breadth, but I am still using study notes to help give some depth as time allows. I have just started researching ADHD and have a stack of books from the library on that topic. Otherwise I have a long list of books I want to read, but no specific goals in place. Mitch has been reading aloud to the boys at bedtime. He is working through the DragonKeeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul. I remember why I love her!

One spiritual discipline that I want to cultivate this year is prayer.  I tried last year, but couldn't get much further than writing in a journal (other than quick prayers said throughout the day). My mom Janet sent me a book on prayer for my birthday which sparked this desire. So now I'm turning towards making prayer more intentional. One of my biggest goals is to have a written record of answered prayers...but to get there I have to have a written record of prayer requests, a time of prayer, etc. So I'm working on it. This week I'm really enjoying the PrayerMate app on my phone. Really it will just take time to see what works best for me. If possible, I may do some reading specifically on this topic.

One word for my life this year that I'm focusing on is "simplify." I have felt so overwhelmed and scatterbrained lately that I think I could diagnose myself with ADHD. Not really...but I definitely have some of the symptoms! We are always working to declutter our home, and while I think I still need to do more in that respect, I also need to declutter areas that are not physical areas...my brain, my to-do lists, etc. There are some awesome resources out there that would help with this goal, but I'm not at the place where I can handle one more book, website, podcast, or anything. I want to push back on those areas of my life that are excess and get my margin back. De-frag my brain. I can't do everything that I want to do, but I'm not sure the things that I do accomplish are the things I wanted to accomplish most.

Genna will be one year old in just a few days, so I'll write more about her then and post more pictures. Exactly one year ago today I did my regular meal-planning and grocery shopping, only I planned two weeks' worth of meals. I was SOOOOO pregnant and done. It was fun to be able to leave her at home today when I went shopping, though maybe she didn't think so. ;) As we head into Genna's second year outside the womb I'm sure that I will be able to get some more sleep, be a little more independent (of her), and that will help with my ability to be more focused and accomplish more tasks.

 A couple weeks ago Mitch took off work on a Friday because the kids had dentist appointments. My mind was swirling with all the things that I needed to get done, so I said to Eden, "Go to the board and make me a list." So smart as she is, she went to the board and made "A list." She gets it from her dad. He came right behind her and made "B list." ::swoon::

 Last night I was helping kids get ready for bed. Tirzah and Mercy had disappeared into Tirzah's room. I came in to find them having a little party--they both had clipboards and were drawing pictures in bed. It was so totally sweet. Of course, I couldn't get a picture fast enough before the little monkey was up and jumping around. After Mitch read to the boys and lights were out, he made one last round through the house checking on things. He opened Tirzah's door to find Tirzah and Mercy sleeping together. He said they were hunkered down like a couple of "squirrels." Mercy usually sleeps with Eden, but Eden was at dodgeball at church until late.

 Genna loves to clap and sing!

 Obi needs anger management intervention. We have nick-named this "dinosaur nose." Sometimes he gets it really wrinkled up good.

 Obi's eyes may not be blue...are they green? Or hazel?



Tirzah takes her fashion seriously!

Ok...more posts to come...

3 comments:

  1. Lucky the shots worked for you. I had to have the surgery. I mean, I couldn't even reach back to button my lady garments without excruciating pain!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! I had that experience! It was so awful. Yes, I'm so glad the shot worked. I did have a mild case. The doctor said he didn't have to peel me off the ceiling when he touched it, so that was a good sign. :)

      Delete
  2. Lucky the shots worked for you. I had to have the surgery. I mean, I couldn't even reach back to button my lady garments without excruciating pain!!!

    ReplyDelete