Tuesday, March 08, 2016

7,000 Days of Marriage

{2,000 days of marriage}
This whole thing started with the dress. At least that's the way I remember it. I had a pretty dress, and I wanted to take pictures. We scheduled something at Sears, and lined up a sitter. I put rollers in my hair and was so pleased with how it turned out. The sitters arrived, and I was feeling impatient while Mitch, with a calculator in his hand, said, "Hang on a second." He said, "We've been married 2,000 days today!" We arrived for our appointment at Sears and the photographer said that we had the wrong day. It was the next week. I blinked back tears and promised we would be fast, couldn't she just get us in? It was our TWO THOUSANDTH DAY OF MARRIAGE!! :) She got us in, and the rest is history. We ended up with 3 great shots to remember this day by. We went to dinner at Applebee's, then to the dollar movie in the old theater that doesn't exist anymore. It was and is still such a fun memory. Me--ever the impatient one--and Mitch, always the fun one, giving me the gift of sentimentality that I will always cherish.
{4,000 days of marriage}

This milestone came during a busy week. Kids were sick with the stomach virus, and we had no time to celebrate. I have a letter from Mitch to mark the occasion, which is pretty darn special if you ask me.

This one we celebrated concurrently with our friends Scott and Shannon on their 11th wedding anniversary.

{7,000 days of marriage}
1,000 weeks
230 months
19 years

We marked 7,000 days of marriage on Friday! I asked Mitch to take the day off from both his jobs (school, and he's working at a local gas station to earn extra money to pay down on our house). I originally had doctor's appointments for the kids on 3 days that week, including Friday, so I knew that I would need a break anyway. He is allowed sick leave for doctor's appointments for his immediate family. Perfect!

The appointment was right away in the morning, so once we got that out of the way, the rest of the day was ours. I did some research and bought a new board game. I had some strict requirements: 1) It couldn't be expensive. He is working hard weeks--60+ hours--to make money and pay off debt. I don't want to make light of this. My limit was $20. 2) It had to be fast and easy to play. I get interrupted often by children needing things, and it's hard for me to get into a game. By the millionth time I'm interrupted, I misdirect my frustration to the game and wish it could just be over already. 3) I need to be able to win. Mitch is the king of strategy. I can't play against that and win. If I never win, I hate the game. There has to be a good balance of random chance, so I have at least a chance of winning. A wish: a card game that can be played on date night. After much research, I decided on Forbidden Island. It is not a card game, but it met all the other requirements. It's a "cooperative game" where all the players work together to defeat the game. I studied the game, watched a game play on youtube (got totally geeked out by the fact that Wil Wheaton--aka Wesley Crusher from Star Trek--was the one explaining how to play this game), and planned the perfect moment to play. Mitch loves board games and is always asking me to play. I almost always say no. It was so awesome to surprise him with this. (And we won!)
Later in the afternoon we went shopping. We hit up Menards then the ReStore, where Mitch got his man-fix. We also dropped by my fave, Goodwill. We came back home to help with kids and supper. While Mitch was distracted, I slipped off downstairs, then got ready one more surprise--the dress I wore for our 2,000th day of marriage fits again (it helps that my "baby" is a year old and I'm not pregnant)! 
 I turned on some music, and we danced. I closed my eyes and pretended that the kids weren't hanging on to our legs. Ha!  Eden took a few pictures for us. Tirzah asked me if it was my wedding dress. She also asked me if it is inappropriate (the back is slightly open...lol).

 My plan was to change back into my regular clothes and go out to eat. But Mitch put on his suit and convinced me to go out all dressed up. Awwwww. So we had another round of pictures...




We considered keeping the memories flowing by visiting a restaurant we ate at our first year, but I changed my mind at the last minute. We ate some delicious burgers at Red Robin instead. I won 3 rounds of gin rummy.




P.s. 5,000 days (that's 13+ years) and 7 kids later? I'm so stoked. I think I paid $15 for this sweet dress...



No comments:

Post a Comment